At A Glance
- Tuesday 05 April
- All day: Workshops
- Wednesday 06 April
- Thursday 07 April
- Friday 08 April
Tuesday 05 April
- 8:30-12:30: Systems for Post-Moore Architectures (SPMA’22) – ➡️ Room: Salle 18
- 8:30-18:30: 9th Workshop on Principles and Practice of Consistency for Distributed Data (PaPoC 2022) – ➡️ Room: Salle 13, 📚 Proceedings
- 8:45-18:30: 15th European Workshop on Systems Security (EuroSec 2022) – ➡️ Room: Salle 12, 📚 Proceedings
- 9:00-17:50: 5th International Workshop on Edge Systems (EdgeSys 2022) – ➡️ Room: Salle 19
- 9:00-18:00: Eurosys Doctoral Workshop 2022 (EuroDW’22) – ➡️ Room: Belvédère
- 9:00-18:15: 2nd European Workshop on Machine Learning and Systems (EuroMLSys) – ➡️ Room: Horizons, 📚 Proceedings
- 13:40-18:30: Challenges and Opportunities of Efficient and Performant Storage Systems (CHEOPS) – ➡️ Room: Salle 18, 📚 Proceedings
Wednesday 06 April
08:30 – Registration
09:00 – Opening Remarks
09:30 – BFT
Session Chair: Rodrigo Rodrigues
- DAMYSUS: Streamlined BFT Consensus Leveraging Trusted Components.
Jeremie Decouchant (Delft University of Technology), David Kozhaya (ABB Corporate Research), Vincent Rahli (University of Birmingham), Jiangshan Yu (Monash University)
- State Machine Replication Scalability Made Simple.
Chrysoula Stathakopoulou (IBM Research – Zurich, ETH Zurich), Matej Pavlovic (IBM Research – Zurich), Marko Vukolic (Protocol Labs)
- Narwhal and Tusk: A DAG-based Mempool and Efficient BFT Consensus.
George Danezis (MystenLabs / University College London), Lefteris Kokoris-Kogias (IST Austria), Alberto Sonnino (MystenLabs), Alexander Spiegelman (Novi Research)
10:30 – Coffee Break ☕️
11:00 – Concurrency
Session Chair: Jean-Pierre Lozi
- Building an Efficient Key-Value Store in a Flexible Address Space.
Chen Chen and Wenshao Zhong (University of Illinois at Chicago), Xingbo Wu (Microsoft Research)
- Rolis: a software approach to efficiently replicating multi-core transactions.
Weihai Shen and Ansh Khanna (Stony Brook University), Sebastian Angel (University of Pennsylvania and Microsoft Research), Siddhartha Sen (Microsoft Research), Shuai Mu (Stony Brook University)
- Tebis: Index Shipping for Efficient Replication in LSM Key-Value Stores.
Michalis Vardoulakis (Univ. of Crete and FORTH, Greece), Giorgos Saloustros (FORTH), Pilar González-Férez (University of Murcia, Spain), Angelos Bilas (Univ. of Crete and FORTH, Greece)
12:20 – Lunch 🍴
13:30 – Software security
Session Chair: Angelos Bilas
- Sharing is Caring: Secure and Efficient Shared Memory Support for MVEEs.
Jonas Vinck (imec-DistriNet, KU Leuven), Bert Abrath and Bart Coppens (Ghent University), Alexios Voulimeneas (imec-DistriNet, KU Leuven), Bjorn De Sutter (Ghent University), Stijn Volckaert (imec-DistriNet, KU Leuven)
- Hardening Binaries against More Memory Errors.
Gregory J. Duck, Yuntong Zhang, and Roland H.C. Yap (National University of Singapore)
- PKRU-Safe: Automatically Locking Down the Heap Between Safe and Unsafe Languages.
Paul Kirth (Univeristy of California, Irvine), Mitchel Dickerson (University of California, Irvine), Stephen Crane and Per Larsen (Immunant, Inc.), Adrian Dabrowski, David Gens, and Yeoul Na (University of California, Irvine), Stijn Volckaert (imec-DistriNet, KU Leuven), Michael Franz (University of California, Irvine, USA)
- KASLR in the age of MicroVMs.
Benjamin Holmes and Jason Waterman (Vassar College), Dan Williams (Virginia Tech)
- Nyx-Net: Network Fuzzing with Incremental Snapshots.
Sergej Schumilo and Cornelius Aschermann (Ruhr University Bochum), Andrea Jemmett (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam), Ali Abbasi (Ruhr University Bochum), Thorsten Holz (CISPA Helmholtz Center for Information Security)
15:10 – Coffee Break ☕️
15:40 – ML for Systems
Session Chair: Zsolt István
- DeepRest: Deep Resource Estimation for Interactive Microservices.
Ka-Ho Chow (Georgia Institute of Technology), Umesh Deshpande and Sangeetha Seshadri (IBM Research – Almaden), Ling Liu (Georgia Institute of Technology)
- Unicorn: Reasoning about Configurable System Performance through the lens of Causality.
Md Shahriar Iqbal (University of South Carolina), Rahul Krishna (Columbia University), Mohammad Ali Javidian (Purdue University), Baishakhi Ray (Columbia University), Pooyan Jamshidi (University of South Carolina)
- Multi-Objective Congestion Control.
Yiqing Ma, Han Tian, Xudong Liao, Junxue Zhang, Weiyan Wang, and Kai Chen (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology), Xin Jin (Peking University)
- Hybrid Anomaly Detection and Prioritization for Network Logs at Cloud Scale.
David Ohana, Bruno Wassermann, Nicolas Dupuis, Elliot Kolodner, Eran Raichstein, and Michal Malka (IBM Research)
17:00 – Poster Session & Breizh Cocktail🍹- 📣Vote for the best poster!🥇
19:00 – End of day one
Thursday 07 April
08:30 – Registration
09:00 – Trusted Execution
Session Chair: Valerio Schiavoni
- Performance Evolution of Mitigating Transient Execution Attacks.
Jonathan Behrens, Adam Belay, and M. Frans Kaashoek (MIT CSAIL)
- You Shall Not (by)Pass! Practical, Secure, and Fast PKU-based Sandboxing.
Alexios Voulimeneas, Jonas Vinck, Ruben Mechelinck, and Stijn Volckaert (imec-DistriNet, KU Leuven)
- Verified Programs Can Party: Optimizing Kernel Extensions via Post-Verification In-Kernel Merging.
Hsuan-Chi Kuo, Kai-Hsun Chen, and Yicheng Lu (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), Dan Williams (Virginia Tech), Sibin Mohan (Oregon State University), Tianyin Xu (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Minimum Viable Device Drivers for ARM TrustZone.
Liwei Guo and Felix Xiaozhu Lin (University of Virginia)
10:20 – Coffee Break ☕️
10:50 – Edge, Embedded
Session Chair: Eiko Yoneki
- OPEC: Operation-based Security Isolation for Bare-metal Embedded Systems.
Xia Zhou, Jiaqi Li, Wenlong Zhang, and Yajin Zhou (Zhejiang University), Wenbo Shen (Zhejing University), Kui Ren (Zhejiang University)
- LiteReconfig: Cost and Content Aware Reconfiguration of Video Object Detection Systems for Mobile GPUs.
Ran Xu, Jayoung Lee, Pengcheng Wang, and Saurabh Bagchi (Purdue University), Yin Li (University of Wisconsin – Madison), Somali Chaterji (Purdue University)
Session Chair: Gaël Thomas
- Slashing the Disaggregation Tax in Heterogeneous Data Centers with FractOS.
Lluís Vilanova (Imperial College London), Lina Maudlej and Shai Bergman (Technion), Till Miemietz (Barkhausen Institut), Matthias Hille (TU Dresden), Nils Asmussen and Michael Roitzsch (Barkhausen Institut), Hermann Härtig (TU Dresden), Mark Silberstein (Technion)
- OS Scheduling with Nest: Keeping Tasks Close Together on Warm Cores.
Julia Lawall and Himadri Chhaya-Shailesh (Inria), Jean-Pierre Lozi (Oracle Labs), Baptiste Lepers and Willy Zwaenepoel (University of Sydney), Gilles Muller (Inria)
- Kite: Lightweight Critical Service Domains.
A K M Fazla Mehrab (Virginia Tech), Ruslan Nikolaev (The Pennsylvania State University), Binoy Ravindran (Virginia Tech)
12:30 – Lunch 🍴
14:00 – Systems for ML (small)
Session Chair: Baptiste Lepers
- Fleche: An Efficient GPU Embedding Cache for Personalized Recommendations.
Minhui Xie, Youyou Lu, Jiazhen Lin, Qing Wang, and Jian Gao (Tsinghua University), Kai Ren (Kuaishou Technology), Jiwu Shu (Tsinghua University)
- GNNLab: A Factored System for Sample-based GNN Training over GPUs.
Jianbang Yang (IPADS, Shanghai Jiao Tong University), Dahai Tang (Hunan University), Xiaoniu Song (IPADS, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai AI Laboratory), Lei Wang (Alibaba Group), Qiang Yin (BASICS, Shanghai Jiao Tong University), Rong Chen (IPADS, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai AI Laboratory), Wenyuan Yu and Jingren Zhou (Alibaba Group)
- Out-Of-Order BackProp: An Effective Scheduling Technique for Deep Learning.
Hyungjun Oh, Junyeol Lee, Hyeongju Kim, and Jiwon Seo (Hanyang University)
Systems for ML (large)
Session Chair: Marco Canini
- D3: A Dynamic Deadline-Driven Approach for Building Autonomous Vehicles.
Ionel Gog, Sukrit Kalra, Peter Schafhalter, Joseph Gonzalez, and Ion Stoica (UC Berkeley)
- Varuna: Scalable, Low-cost Training of Massive Deep Learning Models.
Sanjith Athlur, Nitika Saran, Muthian Sivathanu, Ramachandran Ramjee, Nipun Kwatra (Microsoft Research India)
15:40 – Coffee Break ☕️
16:10 – Persistent Memory
Session Chair: Stijn Volckaert
- Characterizing the Performance of Intel Optane Persistent Memory — A Close Look at its On-DIMM Buffering.
Lingfeng Xiang (The University of Texas at Arlington), Xingsheng Zhao (University of texas at arlington), Jia Rao (The University of Texas at Arlington), Song Jiang (University of Texas at Arlington), Hong Jiang (UT Arlington)
- SafePM: A Sanitizer for Persistent Memory.
Kartal Kaan Bozdoğan (Technical University of Munich), Dimitrios Stavrakakis (Technical University of Munich & University of Edinburgh), Shady Issa and Pramod Bhatotia (Technical University of Munich)
- ResPCT: Fast Checkpointing in Non-Volatile Memory for Multi-Threaded Applications.
Ana Khorguani, Thomas Ropars, and Noel De Palma (Univ. Grenoble Alpes, CNRS, Grenoble INP, LIG)
Session Chair: Etienne Rivière
- Optimizing the Interval-centric Distributed Computing Model for Temporal Graph Algorithms.
Animesh Baranawal and Yogesh Simmhan (IISc, Bangalore)
- A New Benchmark Harness for Systematic and Robust Evaluation of Streaming State Stores.
Esmail Asyabi, Yuanli Wang, John Liagouris, Vasiliki Kalavri, and Azer Bestavros (Boston University)
17:30 – Short Break
17:45 – General Assembly
18:45 – Cocktail and Dinner 🎉
Friday 08 April
08:30 – Registration
09:00 – SSDs & I/O
Session Chair: Julia Lawal
- p2KVS: a Portable 2-Dimensional Parallelizing Framework to Improve Scalability of Key-value Stores on SSDs.
Ziyi Lu and Qiang Cao (Huazhong University of Science and Technology), Hong Jiang (University of Texas at Arlington), Shucheng Wang (Huazhong University of Science and Technology), Yuanyuan Dong (Alibaba Group)
- Improving Scalability of Database Systems by Reshaping User Parallel I/O.
Ning Li (Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Texas at Arlington, USA), Hong Jiang (UT Arlington), Hao Che (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, The University of Texas at Arlington), Zhijun Wang (Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Texas at Arlington, USA), Minh Q. Nguyen (Faculty of IT, Ho Chi Minh City University of Transport)
- BetrFS: A Compleat File System for Commodity SSDs.
Yizheng Jiao (The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill), Simon Bertron (Katana Graph), Sagar Patel and Luke Zeller (The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill), Rory Bennett (Stony Brook University), Nirjhar Mukherjee (Carnegie Mellon University), Michael Bender (Stony Brook University), Michael Condict (unaffiliated), Alex Conway (Vmware Research), Martin Farach-Colton (Rutgers University), XIONGZI GE (NetApp Inc.), William Jannen (Williams College), Rob Johnson (VMWare Research), Donald Porter (The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill), Jun Yuan (Pace University)
- Beating the I/O bottleneck: A case for log-structured virtual disks.
Mohammad Hossein Hajkazemi (NetApp), Vojtech Aschenbrenner (EPFL), Mania Abdi (Northeastern University), Emine Ugur Kaynar, Amin Mossayebzadeh, Orran Krieger (Boston University), Peter Desnoyers (Northeastern University)
10:20 – Coffee Break ☕️
10:50 – FaaS 1
Session Chair: Lluís Vilanova
- Isolating Functions at the Hardware Limit with Virtines.
Nicholas Wanninger (Northwestern University), Joshua Bowden, Kirtankumar Shetty, Ayush Garg, and Kyle Hale (Illinois Institute of Technology)
- Fireworks: A Fast, Efficient, and Safe Serverless Framework using VM-level post-JIT Snapshot.
Wonseok Shin (SK Telecom), Wook-Hee Kim (Konkuk University), Changwoo Min (Virginia Tech)
- VMSH: Hypervisor-agnostic Guest Overlays for VMs.
Jörg Thalheim (TU Munich / University of Edinburgh), Peter Okelmann, Harshavardhan Unnibhavi, Redha Gouicem, and Pramod Bhatotia (TU Munich)
- Jiffy: Elastic Far-Memory for Stateful Serverless Analytics.
Anurag Khandelwal and Yupeng Tang (Yale University), Rachit Agarwal (Cornell University), Aditya Akella (UT Austin), Ion Stoica (UC Berkeley)
12:10 – Lunch 🍴
13:30 – Faas 2
Session Chair: Anne-Marie Kermarrec
- Memory Deduplication for Serverless with Medes.
Divyanshu Saxena, Tao Ji (UT Austin), Arjun Singhvi, Junaid Khalid (UW-Madison), Aditya Akella (UT Austin)
- FaaSnap: FaaS Made Fast Using Snapshot-based VMs.
Lixiang Ao, George Porter, Geoffrey M. Voelker (UC San Diego)
- APT-GET: Profile-Guided Timely Software Prefetching.
Saba Jamilan (University of California, Santa Cruz), Tanvir Ahmed Khan (University of Michigan), Grant Ayers (Google), Baris Kasikci (University of Michigan), Heiner Litz (University of California, Santa Cruz)